Parents & Patients
These sites are not affiliated with the Society for Pediatric Radiology. The SPR is not responsible for their content.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- familydoctor.org (American Academy of Family Physicians)
- Hospital Web (links to just about every hospital on the internet)
- The Merck Manual Online
- MEDLINEPlus Health Information (A service of the National Library of Medicine / NIH
- NetWellness-Web Based Consumer Health Information Service
- The Pediatric Radiology Platform online
- U.S. National Library of Medicine
- The Visible Human Project (U.S. National Library of Medicine)
- The Virtual Hospital (U. of Iowa)
- Pediatric Radiology.com
- USA Hospitals
- Scoliosis support
- Mobile App: Simply Sayin' - Medical Jargon for Kids by MediaKube, LLC
- Cerebral Palsy
- Contrast Enhanced Ultrasound
- UVA Health Blog - Contrast Ultrasound: What It’s Used For, and 4 Key Advantages
- UVA Health Blog - Does Your Child Have Frequent UTIs? A Safer Way to Screen for VUR
- UVA Health Blog - One Family’s Journey: A Better Way to Screen for VUR
- Contrast-enhanced Ultrasound for Children (a cartoon explaining IV CEUS for children)
- Wilms Tumor
- Image Gently Campaign
- Public - Free Access: Volume 36, Supplement 14 / September, 2006 - The ALARA (as low as reasonably achievable) concept in pediatric interventional and fluoroscopic imaging
- National Cancer Institute - Radiation Risks and Pediatric Computed Tomography (CT): A Guide for Health Care Providers
- Cincinnati Children's Hospital - Radiation and CT Scans
- Health Physics Society
For Pediatric Radiologists
Invited to talk about what we do and how it works? You are welcome to use the talks linked below to get started. Parents are also encouraged to view to help them talk about these procedures with their children. Thanks to Meir Scheinfeld, MD, PhD and Laura Avery, MD for supplying these resources. If you use these presentations, kindly let us know by email.
- Preschool Audience
- 3rd Grade Audience
- General Audience
- My Little Patient: the x-ray exam
- Download the article, Radiology Goes Back to School: Presenting the Face of Radiology to School Children by Meir H. Scheinfeld, MD, PhD, Carson Campe, MD, Laura L. Avery, MD
- An excellent source of current information is RadiologyInfo.org. Many SPR members contribute as medical advisors on this important collaborative site.
Monkey Business: Entertaining content useful in talking to younger children:
Curious George Goes to the Hospital by H. A. Rey and Margret Rey
Images below provided by Dr. Carrie Ruzal-Shapiro. These images are of a monkey who swallowed part of his cage.
This map shows sites where SPR members (voluntarily) report they practice in the US and Canada. If you do not find a location near you marked on the map, a good place to consider is a local children's hospital. CHA - the Children's Hospital Association hosts a search function on its website. SPR members: If you would like your place noted on the map, contact the office to request. This link is to the Wikipedia listing for Children's Hospitals in the US. This link is to the Wikipedia listing for Children's Hospitals in Canada.
View SPR Find a Pediatric Radiologist in a larger map